Metroid Prime 3: Corruption FAQ (updated 6/05/06)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenMamba
Phazon Elite

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption FAQ (updated 6/05/06) Reply with quote

(newest additions marked with an *)

METROID PRIME 3: Corruption

System--Wii
Release Date--TBA (Wii launch title)

Description taken from Nintendo's site:

If you think you knew what it felt like to be the bounty hunter behind the visor, think again. Take aim at evil with Nintendo's revolutionary controller. Players control Samus by moving with the Nunchuk controller and aiming with the pointer, allowing for a level of immersion unlike anything they have ever experienced. Through the eyes of Samus, players experience a quantum leap in first-person control as they wield the Wii Remote, the ultimate device for the first-person shooter genre. Samus will employ well-known power-ups like the Grapple Beam and Morph Ball, as well as a bunch of new surprises, to help her survive her coming trials. Saving the planets from Corruption isn't enough, though. Eventually, players must take down Samus' mortal enemy, Dark Samus.

---------------------------

Story
-Brings closure to the Prime series, with the probable end of both Phazon and Dark Samus.
-Numerous other bounty hunters also make appearances, but their roles are not currently known.
-One of these bounty hunters, named Rundus, shows up in the demo.
-Another hunter is a purple creature with a human face and a very vaguely humanoid body. She appears to be able to transform her appearance.*
-Another character, which may or may not be a new hunter, appears to be a giant robot helmed by a creature.*
-Dark Samus and the Space Pirates, after a rocky start to their relationship in Echoes, have teamed up.
-Waging all out war against the Galactic Federation, they are moving from planet to planet, corrupting them with Phazon Seeds.
-Samus's role begins when the Galactic Federation base known as Sector Zero is assaulted by the Space Pirates. Samus is sent to help, naturally.
-Upon landing, Samus is approached by a Galactic Federation trooper who tells Samus their current situation (complete with voice acting!).
-Samus is ordered to reboot Sector Zero's generator to restore defensive systems.
-Along the way, she meets up with the bounty hunter Rundus, who is apparently on friendly terms with Samus, and suggests they should meet up later on.
-But at the end of the path, a certain Pirate mainstay is waiting for her...
-Another important plot point is Samus's own phazon infection, and her quest to cure herself.
-Rundus, the purple changeling, and the giant robot hunter are also infected by phazon.*

Controls
-Move forward and backward and strafe with the analogue stick on the nunchaku attachment.
-Aiming and turning is acheived through the Wiimote's motion sensitivity.
-Press B to make Samus jump, B again for a double jump.
-The A button makes Samus fire her beam, holding A charges it.
-Press up, left, or right on the D-Pad to switch to the Scan Visor.
-While in the Scan Visor, aim at a scannable icon and hold down Z to scan.
-Press down on the D-Pad to fire a missile.
-Press and hold the Z button on the nunchaku attachment to lock on.
-To turn into the Morph Ball, press the C button on the nunchaku attachment.
-Fire the Grapple Beam by flicking the nunchaku attachment forward.
-Press down on the analogue stick to pull the object you grappled back to yourself.
-There are two control schemes, called Normal and Expert.
-The only real difference between the two modes is the Wiimote's sensitivity.

Samus Aran and her Gunship
-Samus's design hasn't really changed at all, so far as it looks like.
-The Heads Up Display, however, is completely changed.
-The new HUD displays Missile ammunition, Energy and Energy Tanks, radar, and the map. Nothing else.
-There aren't any visor icons nor beam icons.
-Samus herself has been infected by Phazon, and the infection slowly grows throughout the game.
-This infection allows her to go into hyper mode, which increases her attack power, but she runs the risk of killing herself.
-While in hyper mode, Samus fires pure phazon, which draws from a limited pool that powers hyper mode.
-If Samus depletes the entire pool, she is forced from hyper mode. If the pool reaches maximum, Samus dies.
-Samus apparently has an entirely new gunship.
-A far more combat ready looking ship, it is able to fire missiles from its two wing like attachments.
-Though Samus does use it to fly between the multiple planets, you do not actually pilot the ship yourself. Rather, flight takes place through cutscenes, a la Hunters.
-There is a new visor, called the Command Visor, that allows Samus to control the ship from the ground, however.
-Using the Command Visor to command the ship, it can be used to fire at enemies, lift heavy objects, and even give Samus a boost as a makeshift platform.

Environments
-The environments and rooms seem to be increased enormously in size.
-Instead of a single planet to explore, there are multiple ones, each being corrupted by the Phazon Seeds.
-The only environments seen so far include the space base Sector Zero, a snowy ruins area, and a darkened temple.*
-Standard blue doors are present, as always. They are ovular in shape and a bit larger than in previous Primes.
-Missile blast shields are now black with red designs.
-There are some blast shields that require Samus to shoot targets in a specific order, or that require her to yank it off with the Grapple Beam.
-Some doors are sealed with new locks that require Samus to manipulate with her hand.
-To do so, press the A button to grab the handle. Then twist the Wiimote in the proper way to open the lock.
-Large golem like robots seem to factor into the gameplay as well, as Samus seems to be able to control them by morphing inside their stomach region.*

Space Pirates
-The Space Pirates are returrning once again, this time in apparently great numbers.
-They have been changed to a smaller, more streamlined design that better reflects the Pirates of the 2D games. They have a claw gun on the right hand, and an energy scythe on their left.
-The design of the Flying Pirates has changed significantly, as they are now held aloft by two small, flying machines connected to them with holographic wire. Their attack pattern seems to be the same, however.
-Some Pirates are known to be equipped with shields that must be disarmed with the Grapple Beam.
-A new Pirate type seems to be a slightly beefed up Pirate trooper with bulbous helmets. They appear to be laced with phazon.*
-Their leader, Ridley, is making a return appearance.
-Large dropships, called Pirate ATCs, occaisionally drop Pirates and attack Samus. The move fairly slowly, and their front vent is their weak point.
-Unlike Echoes, the Pirates are a major part of the storyline in Corruption.
-They have teamed up with Dark Samus and are now waging all out war on the Federation, moving from planet to planet, corrupting each with a Phazon Seed.

Ridley
-The Space Pirate mainstay is making a "surprise" return.
-Apparently leading the attack on Sector Zero, he is the final boss of the E3 demo.
-When he appears, he crashes down on the floor, smashing it, sending both him and Samus falling down a 20,000 meter tube. This is where the fight takes place(!).
-During the falling fight, there is a counter at the bottom of the screen that displays the amount of meters left before you hit the bottom.
-Presumably, you have to defeat Ridley before you hit the bottom.
-When Ridley is far below Samus, he spits his patented fire laser and slower moving fireballs.
-Ridley will occaisionally move in closer to Samus for a bitch slap. Fire at his hands to deflect him.
-When flying above Samus, Ridley fires huge, slow moving fireballs that Samus must shoot several times to destroy.
-To damage him, fire into his mouth when it is open.
-When Samus defeats him, the Rundus slides down and saves her, leaving Ridley to fall.
-I'd be willing to wager Ridley will come back later on in the game.

Dark Samus
-Dark Samus is once again returning, probably for the final time.
-Her design has been completely changed, for some reason.
-Unlike Echoes, Dark Samus has a major part in the storyline this time around.
-She has teamed up with the Space Pirates, initiating the movement to corrupt each planet with a Phazon Seed.
-Dark Samus herself is the one to corrupt Samus, Rundus, the purple changeling, and the robot hunter with phazon. She does so by expelling blue lightning from its body.*

Rundus
-Another bounty hunter, he seems to be on friendly terms with Samus.
-His powers are ice related, as he both rides on ice (similar to the X-Men's Iceman) and has a weapon that fires freezing energy.
-He appears in the demo at Sector Zero, saving Samus a first time by freezing a Pirate dropship, causing it to slam into another.
-Later, after the battle with Ridley, Rundus scoots down on his ice to save her.
-How he will affect the story and his importance are currently unknown, though it is known that he is infected by phazon thanks to Dark Samus.*
-Though he looks similar to the Vhozon Noxus, it is not confirmed that he is a Vhozon.

Grapple Beam
-The Grapple Beam functions quite differently this time around.
-To use the Grapple Beam, find something with the familiar Grapple icon on it, and simply flick the nunchaku attachment forward.
-If it grabs onto something, press down on the analogue stick to pull whatever you grabbed towards yourself.
-This is useful to disarm some more stubborn enemies that have shields, or ripping blast shields off of doors.
-Another ability of the Grapple Beam is to attach to ziplines, and then ride them.*
-There are items to be found that upgrade the Grapple Beam.

Known Returning Items
Power Beam
Samus's standard beam weapon. Charging looks niftier, but not much change to be found here. It is permanently replaced as beams stack upon one another in this game.
Plasma Beam
Though it is unknown what properties it will have, it is known that it is both a stackable beam upgrade and it is found fairly early, much earlier than usual.
Charge Beam
Returning, and it's back with a vengeance. Charging effects look pretty sweet, if I do say so myself.
Missile Launcher
You just can't have a Metroid game without Missiles, can you? They are no longer blue exploding lasers, rather, they are similar to the 2D missiles this time around. There are stackable items which upgrade the missiles.
Combat Visor
Of course. How else would Samus see? The HUD has been stripped down for sure--lacks both visor icons and beam icons.
Scan Visor
Yeah, it's returning. The icon scanning from the first Prime returns.
X-Ray Visor
Though not yet seen, Retro has confirmed that it is in. Useful for when you get a beam that shoots through walls...
Varia Suit
I'd wager that it will probably be Samus's default suit again, as it was in Echoes.
Morph Ball
Well, yeah. To be expected, I suppose.
Morph Ball Bombs
They look niftier, but aside from that, I see little difference.
Space Jump Boots
Good ole' double jump makes a reappearance.
Screw Attack
Yep, and doesn't look like it has changed much from Echoes. You get it much earlier and use it much more often.
Grapple Beam
Changed. Dramatically. See its own section for details.

Known New Items
Command Visor
Allows you to command your gunship.

Thanks to xfox for the avy and sig.

Last edited by GreenMamba on Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:57 am; edited 22 times in total
MonsterERB
"The Lockinator"

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMamba wrote:
I hope Mills will make a forum for MP3:C now.

Don't worry, he will. Someday. Wink
I can only hope that the MP3:C FAQ will live up to the high quality of the MP2:E FAQ you created. Although, if it is that good, I'll eventually have to stop coming to the topic to avoid knowing too much about the game before opening the box. Wink

Sigs by me, and 1 by MT
Progress on no-damage Prime run:
Saved in Metroid Quarantine B before Omega Pirate (1:27, 39%)
BBX25 wrote:
You can't pubically submit ideas to a corporation.

Last edited by MonsterERB on Thu May 11, 2006 12:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Samochan
Elite Pirate

Location: Glomping Edward, Alphonse, Ichigo, Sephiroth, Cloud and Auron :3

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall provide the high quality images for this FAQ as well, if you're okay with that Mamba. Smile Man, I can't wait for this... I hope they show more of MP3 tomorrow. ^^

FinMetroid Finnish Metroid forum. Join now...
Metroid-club Join... or Ridley eats you >:3
Nintendo RPG Join the team :3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TICONDEROGA
[Warning]

Location: developers developers developers developers!!! AHHHH!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E3 06: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Hands-On
We get an early look at the playable demo of Samus' latest adventure on the Wii.
By Ricardo Torres, GameSpot
Posted May 9, 2006 10:45 am PT
LOS ANGELES--When we got our first look at the Wii in motion at last year's Tokyo Game Show, one of the games used to show off the potential of the console's unique controller was Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Given how well the demo worked we weren't too surprised to see a new Metroid game among the titles we had the chance to check out recently. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is the third entry in the Prime series and once again finds you playing as the original lady action hero Samus Aran. The demo finds her being summoned to an outpost under siege by a distress call.

The visuals in the game are looking sharp and staying true to the sleek art direction that was introduced when the Metroid Prime series kicked off on the GameCube in 2002. The most striking feature was simply the scale of the level we saw. The facility, as seen in the intro cinematic, appeared to be a sprawling complex that had seen better days. Upon landing, Samus disembarks and gets a brief status update from soldiers posted to the platform her ship is resting on. Once you're up to speed you head out to do you business. The brief portion of the level we played focused on Samus exploring the installation and taking on enemies.

While the basic action in the demo was the standard Metroid fare, how you got on with it was all-new thanks to the Wii controller. Much like our Tokyo Game Show demo, the game relied on the main controller and nunchuk attachment. We moved Samus with the analog stick while we did our looking and aiming by simply pointing the new controller. The B button shot her primary weapon and, when held down, charged up for a power shot that sucked in nearby items. The directional pad fired missiles. Scanning was tweaked a bit with a translucent reticle coming up that you could "lock" by hitting the C button. When locked onto an enemy you'll be able to perform the same actions you always could. When locked onto an item you can scan you'll have to hold down the A button to initiate it. The Z button initiates your morph ball.

While all of the above is pretty much how you'd expect the control to map out, the grapple beam is a cool use of the controller's unique attributes. In the demo we came across objects that featured the beam icon above them, handy tip off to use the beam. The mechanic for the beam was pretty cool. We had to lock on to the object then fling the nunchuk which caused Samus to fire a beam out at it. Once we had it on our line we used the analog stick to pull it back towards us. Once the debris was cleared we had our chance to engage in some morph ball puzzle solving that was initiated with another use of the controller, simulating Samus' hand manipulating a switch. We "grabbed" a handle, pulled it back, twisted it and pushed it back into a socket with a fair amount of precision.

As far as the visuals go, the game is purring along as smoothly as its GameCube predecessors and benefiting from a nice sheen of graphical effects that enhance the already impressive look. Right now what we've seen is a solid evolution of the visuals and effects from the Prime games on the 'cube, but we expect the game to continue to improve as development continues.

Based on what we played, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is poised to fulfill the potential we saw in Tokyo last year. The basics of using the Wii controller were almost exactly what we wanted and worked well with the familiar Metroid control mechanics. The advanced ways to use the controller, such as the grapple beam were pretty slick and presented a lot of interesting possibilities. Look for more on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption soon.

Provided by GameSpot

My MP:H FC is:
5197-6226-1650
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GreenMamba
Phazon Elite

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've seen that TICON. Working on updating...

And, if you would be so kind as to get me pics, Samochan, I would greatly appreciate it. I need the logo (you can find it at Nintendo.com), and, if you can manage, get me a pic of Ridley from the videos (I missed it).

TICONDEROGA
[Warning]

Location: developers developers developers developers!!! AHHHH!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok logo:

And this:

~Shwank~

My MP:H FC is:
5197-6226-1650
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GreenMamba
Phazon Elite

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you crop the Dark Samus picture down to just Dark Samus?

Samochan
Elite Pirate

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMamba wrote:
Yes, I've seen that TICON. Working on updating...

And, if you would be so kind as to get me pics, Samochan, I would greatly appreciate it. I need the logo (you can find it at Nintendo.com), and, if you can manage, get me a pic of Ridley from the videos (I missed it).

Where I can download that vid again? I tried to stream it again from Gamespot, but it seemed to not work for me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ridley in a tuxedo
Shadow Pirate

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know that as well.
GreenMamba
Phazon Elite

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea. Poo.

JohnRzeznikNMSU
Space Pirate

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamespot says starting @ 12:00pm PST... So in about 10 minutes... That's just the press conference though, I don't know about the individual game highlights...
ChozoEchoes
Shadow Pirate

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IGN hands-on:

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/706/706030p1.html

Quote:
Retro is using the nunchuck's accelerometer in an interesting, surprisingly non-gimmicky way. It controls Aran's grappling beam. You simply gesture flick the unit forward and the heroine's beam springs outward. The beam is used offensively, too, which is a pleasing addition, to say the least. Some Space Pirates come fully equipped with shields that they stubbornly refuse to part with, and therefore you have to figure out a way to disarm them. The grappling beam does the trick. Flick gesture the nunchuck unit toward one of these creatures and her beam will blast toward them and grip their shield. Then, all you need do is press backward on the nunchuck unit's analog stick and you'll literally rip the shield away, exposing the Space Pirate. This process is all the more intuitive because it can be done completely separate from the aiming process - once you've mastered it, you'll notice yourself blasting at enemies as you tear shields off others.

The Wii-mote is likewise used in clever ways. The world in Prime 3 is of course littered with trademark doorways, many of which open when blasted. Some, however, don't - and you'll need to try a little harder to get past them. In a couple instances, I needed to use the Wii-mote to act as Aran's right arm. When I approached a doorway, I noticed a groove in a wall and learned that I could gesture forward with the Wii-mote to make Samus punch her arm into the groove. Then, I had to turn the remote as though it were a key in a lock, at which point Aran's arm did the same. Eventually, I needed to pull backward again, and here Samus grabbed hold of a level inside the door and - you guessed it - pulled it open, unlocking the contraption. The process was really well implemented and clever.

Drool
Samochan
Elite Pirate

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out IGN images...

http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748547/imgs_1.html

Drool Drool Drool

Edit: I go to sauna and start working on those images immediately. The stream on Gamespot prevents me to get screencaps, so I try IGN after I get back.

system928
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samochan wrote:

Check out IGN images...

http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748547/imgs_1.html

Drool Drool Drool

Edit: I go to sauna and start working on those images immediately. The stream on Gamespot prevents me to get screencaps, so I try IGN after I get back.

Drool

*Starts making a sprite of that ship*

Awesome set made by xfox!
Andrew Mills wrote:
I know it's in the wrong forum, but seeing as this is the board with the most traffic, and I OWN this forum, I can stick this topic in any board I like! Anyways...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steyr AUG
Beam Trooper

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Dark Hunter design looks more organic and menacing than in Echoes (if that's possible!). It's gonna be awesome.

I'm not too happy to hear the Pirate design has changed again though. Hopefully it'll be one step closer to the Super Metroid version.

- Hideo Kojima

PWNAGE!!!
=
I happen to call "Dark Samus" the Dark Hunter. Get used to it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: