Possible ranks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: The SCU 2006 Re-Design Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killer-ale
Elite Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Possible ranks Reply with quote

I wasn't sure which topic this would go in - ideas, the server switch, the ranks question, or coding, so I made a new one. Basically, considering this revamping and the probable server switch, I started thinking about what the ranking system could be next iteration. In my opinion it might do best to have more ranks next time, though there was obviously a restrained selection due to the MP Pirate theme. Eventually, after thinking which Metroid game would be best to draw the new theme from, and consulting MP2, I constructed an informal, very unofficial, personally-biased, probably in-need-of-tweaking possibility:

Ing Larva (instead of Space Pirate) (0-74 posts)
Dark War Wasp (instead of Shadow Pirate) (75-249 posts)
Inglet (instead of Beam Trooper) (250-449 posts)
Dark Splinter (between Beam Trooper and Flying Pirate) (450-799 posts)
Warrior Ing (instead of Flying Pirate) (800-1336 posts)
Dark Blogg (between Flying Pirate and Hunter Ing) (1337-1999 posts)
Hunter Ing (instead of Elite Pirate) (2000-2999 posts)
Dark Pirate Commando (instead of Phazon Elite) (3000-4499 posts)
Emperor Ing (instead of Omega Pirate) (4500-6499 posts)
Daz <_< >_> (6500-? posts)

I was thinking that this topic could be an unofficial consortium of ranking ideas. Does anyone else have any ideas for it?

Old, dead av by Samochan. Old, dead sig by MT. (Still thanks) Current sig and av by BBJ. (Thanks again)

SCU's 6th regular RP, called Intervention, is taking place in the Fan Fiction and Writing board now.
Darth Nat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still for utterly abandoning ranks and replacing them with just some stock rank like "Bounty Hunter" that everyone would have.

Avatar by the wonderful Neko. Sig by Metro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BBX25
Omega Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not have the choice between choosing a pre-determined rank based on your post count, or having the choice of choosing your own by filling in a text box, such as the "Location" box?

Of course, specific terms such as "Moderator", "Administrator", and post-determined ranks wouldn't be allowed in the Rank Box.

Just a suggestion.

Fabro Also?

GreatG
Beam Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBX25 wrote:
Why not have the choice between choosing a pre-determined rank based on your post count, or having the choice of choosing your own by filling in a text box, such as the "Location" box?

Of course, specific terms such as "Moderator", "Administrator", and post-determined ranks wouldn't be allowed in the Rank Box.

Just a suggestion.

You mean like choosing a rank set for your post count?

My favorite thing to do...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Goofyman
^_Ethnic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same reason custom avatars weren't in Halo 2, BBX: Even the developers were drawing inappropriate things.

Sure, we have filters to take that stuff out, but it's still a hassle is someone makes ranks that are simply inappropriate. I think it's too much of a strain on the mods to look at the user titles of new users to make sure it's not offensive.

I think we should either drop user ranks or keep them (perhaps new, but meh, I don't care) once and for all. The decision to end all decisions.

*smacked by Kaiser Wilhelm*

^ Thanks for the awesome sig, Monster!
OMFG39Hi'Goofyd
Core X
Phazon Elite

Location: Prepare to evacuate soul.... In the Mafia game too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or we keep them the same.

xfox did the av, it's awesome, eh?
Metroid Prime Hunters Betrayl: What side are you on? Neither....
Quote:

{matt} isnt that jake?
{cx} it's a horse.....
Phazon Elite
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we should let them be. They are fine how they are.
I'm not sure how prestigous it is to be a Emperor Ing . Infact IMO, all of those thigs sound a bit boring, if not weird. Exept DAZ. But I wouldnt want my user rank to be Daz.

Illy wrote:
I've temporarily stopped being gay.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Core X
Phazon Elite

Location: Prepare to evacuate soul.... In the Mafia game too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phazon Elite wrote:
But I wouldnt want my user rank to be Daz.

You know that has some appeal for me.

xfox did the av, it's awesome, eh?
Metroid Prime Hunters Betrayl: What side are you on? Neither....
Quote:

{matt} isnt that jake?
{cx} it's a horse.....
metroid master
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we sould KEEP the Ranks we have now, but add more, it would make the board more interesting with so many different people with such avarice. I like the space Pirate idea. The "bounty hunter" one too. why not combine them and add some Made up ranks?

^Sig made by Billy Bob Joe the III Avatar Cleverly Cropped by bdjwill!!^
The Legal drinking age in Canada is more of a suggestion...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phazon Elite
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that is, you would jump from a bounty hunter, to a space pirate or vice versa. Thats like going from hunter, to hunted. It just wouldnt make any sence.

Illy wrote:
I've temporarily stopped being gay.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karlprof
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goofy, you underestimate our intelligence. Custom ranks wouldn't be misused; they can't be misused. The worst that could happen is someone puts swear words in their rank; they'll be warned then banned, just like with normal posts.
Omega Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Goof, I think you're not understanding me completely on this concept. I know Bungie's developers drew naughty stuff for Halo 2 avatars, but at least here, you can moderate it a little bit. Simply add the swear words to the disallowed list, among other ranks, such as "Moderator", "Administrator", and any other post count based rank. So, if someone tries to include swear words in their rank, or any of the aforementioned disallowed material, it won't be accepted. If that fails, simply ban the perpetrator for trying to bypass the filters set in place.

Fabro Also?

Moonlight Sonata
Our Sexy Hobbit Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Nat here. I'm an on/off member at another forum where they have one stock rank that every member has, except the mod/admin staff, and those under disciplinary action, to differentiate them from other users.

One stock rank would be an equalizer for the community and would put more stress on just that---the community---than an individual's rank.

Thanks to Midget for the sig and Destroyer F for the avatar!

Home of Indigo Autumn: A Novella, a new look at Hermione Granger's past.
Help it get to 100 reviews!
Read Seven of Wands!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dark Samus
Phazon Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karlprof wrote:
Goofy, you underestimate our intelligence. Custom ranks wouldn't be misused; they can't be misused. The worst that could happen is someone puts swear words in their rank; they'll be warned then banned, just like with normal posts.

But when somebody puts swear words in a post, they don't get warned or banned unless it's an excessive use of the words.

On my forums, I give everybody who joins the custom rank that they desire. The only downfall to custom ranks on SCU is that: 1). It's more work for Mills or any other mods or admins, and 2). Since there will get to be a couple thousand members, it would be a major pain to put up custom ranks for everybody, especially the people who may not even post more than a few times.

All signatures and are made by me. PM me with requests.
MonsterERB wrote:
Very nice. I've always thought that making a great sig/avvy is 50% the skill you have, and 50% the creativity you use in coming up with the concept.
Goofyman
^_Ethnic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBX25 wrote:
Okay, Goof, I think you're not understanding me completely on this concept. I know Bungie's developers drew naughty stuff for Halo 2 avatars, but at least here, you can moderate it a little bit. Simply add the swear words to the disallowed list, among other ranks, such as "Moderator", "Administrator", and any other post count based rank. So, if someone tries to include swear words in their rank, or any of the aforementioned disallowed material, it won't be accepted. If that fails, simply ban the perpetrator for trying to bypass the filters set in place.

Ban? That would be a lot to ban for. They would have to put something that offended to an extreme degree to get banned.

However, I can imagine people bypassing the filters and putting things that offend. As well, what is offensive? That changes from person to person and what may be funny to some may be unfunny to another. I trust you guys, but I don't think that it would be in the best interest of the forums if we allowed people to make their own. The mods would have to be on the watch all the time to make sure nothing was bad, and the definition of offensive (religious jokes are funny to some and not funny to others (so, for example, if someone put "MESSIAH KILLER" as their user title, someone might take offense at it, though it was meant to be a joke)) would be completely objective.

I just don't see it working out.

^ Thanks for the awesome sig, Monster!
OMFG39Hi'Goofyd
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: The SCU 2006 Re-Design Board All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: