A Request for the New Forum Fanart Section...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: The SCU 2006 Re-Design Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cantonbags04
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: A Request for the New Forum Fanart Section... Reply with quote

Okay, I'm sorry, but the 'Original Drawings' and 'Fanart' Threads were one of the biggest pet peeves for me, it really was. I am requesting that we do away with those topics COMPLETELY. Gone. And i dont want to see come back.

Well yeah, you might think thats a bit harsh at first, and i can totally see why. People want to put their stuff up, and this is one of the best ways for the to do it. Right?

Well, not the way i see it. These topics were great at first, but then i started noticing that people's stuff was getting looked over. Their art wasnt being acknowledged or criticised like they should be. It was like they put their art up for no reason. That's happened to me, and i feel horrible, because i put this stuff up so you can see it, but it never gets seen.

What I'd like to see is for people to create their own art threads, where they can display their own art and have people see more easily. I'm part of two other forums and these work SO much better than one giant topic for art. This way, if you dont like one person;s art, you dont have to see it. Midget could put all his graphics into one place. MH can have his very own thread. We can all be able to show off our art without having to have it overshadowed by another work of art. Its much better for the people and the artists, since yeah, we do need criticism too!

But then there's the problem of the requests clogging everything up. See, that's what you should make into one big topic. Make one giant thread for requests, or have different artists make their own request topics, so that the Art thread isnt spammed to death with all these requests that are never more than 10 posts at the most. Those topics dont need to be around. Create a Request thread where someone can state what they want, have someone pick it up for them, and they can exchange thanks and welcomes. That would eliminate so much spam, and save a TON of file space.

Tell me what you guys think. I dont think these Requests are too hard to handle, and it'll let the Art Thread be alot better than what i personally think it is.

"A women is like a tea bag; You dont know how strong she'll be until you put her in hot water."~Elanor Roosevelt
Goofyman
^_Ethnic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but that simply flips problems. If you merge the request thread into one big thread, some requests get overlooked and it becomes big quickly. Lots of posts would make requests pile up and some simply cannot be done, so people keep posting and bumping their request up until it gets done.

Bad idea for the second part, but I do like the idea of seperating forums specific to each individual artist...except that would get cloggy very quickly.

"Cantonbags Art Topic"
"MetroidHandler Art Topic"
"Midget Art Topic"
"Gman Art Topic"
"PhazonSamusMetroidKraid Art Topic"
"Samuel Art Topic"
"'' Art Topic"

Soon, there is an entire page of these things, and it's incredibly annoying. We have many artists here, and we couldn't only let "the best" artists have topics, because that shows favoritism in a situation where neutrality is required.

So, I think that there really is no good way to go about it except taking requests to PMs and putting art in either one big topic or seperating it from all art to "digital" and "drawing", or something.

^ Thanks for the awesome sig, Monster!
OMFG39Hi'Goofyd
Moonlight Sonata
Our Sexy Hobbit Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happens on the fanfic and writing board WITH individual threads. There are many times I've posted something and really wanted some feedback of some sort, but it's overshadowed by another more popular work, or the RP. Am I disappointed? Certainly. And so are the many other writers who don't get any lovin' on that forum.

So with your idea, say ArtistBob starts his art thread and posts, wanting some criticism. But ArtistJane posts, and that gets more attention. ArtistBob is still going to feel like no one cares, even with his own thread, rather than a big sticky topic.

Basically, what we're up against in this case is human nature. And there's really no way to win against human nature. So while I definitely feel your plight, I think that there's not going to be any definitive solution that will make everyone happy. Goofy's suggestion is a good compromise that could help out, though.

Thanks to Midget for the sig and Destroyer F for the avatar!

Home of Indigo Autumn: A Novella, a new look at Hermione Granger's past.
Help it get to 100 reviews!
Read Seven of Wands!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
phazon_sword
Beam Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to agree with Cantonbags. My art gets ignored alot of the time and it's really starting to annoy me.

If you create your own thread, then it gets more chance of recieving critisism.

Quote:
"Cantonbags Art Topic"
"MetroidHandler Art Topic"
"Midget Art Topic"
"Gman Art Topic"
"PhazonSamusMetroidKraid Art Topic"
"Samuel Art Topic"
"'' Art Topic"

Soon, there is an entire page of these things, and it's incredibly annoying. We have many artists here, and we couldn't only let "the best" artists have topics, because that shows favoritism in a situation where neutrality is required.

It doesn't have to be called "*Insert name* Art topic". Surely you can come up with something a little more original.

"Username's Art Gallery"
"Username's Art Corner"
"The best of Username"

Those probalby aren't the most original names, it doesn't have to involve your usename. Perhaps you make your requests in the art topic, but that would probalby take away the whole point of showing off your art. But this is just my idea.

^Now you can sign up in the MPH clan or non-clan, soon we'll be hosting tournaments.^
Read my comics here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darth Nat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the point entirely. The redundancy of the names isn't the issue; the issue is that if we let people have their own art threads we'll have an entire board that is nothing but wall-to-wall art galleries. Instead of your art getting pushed out of sight by other posts in a thread, it'd be pushed down on the topic list by the bazillions of other art galleries that would flood the board. That section of the site isn't just for people who are artists, and it wouldn't be fair to everyone else if it suddenly became the User Art Gallery Corner.

Avatar by the wonderful Neko. Sig by Metro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: The SCU 2006 Re-Design Board All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: