SCU Graphics Topic. All Designers Discuss Ideas Here...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: The SCU 2006 Re-Design Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura
Elite Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destroyer F wrote:
I was thinking of something like this:

Just a simple design, a first tryout... I kept it simple on purpose, so it's easy to load and easy to use. I also kept the original colors of scu like it is now, yellow, white, red and a dark bg.

The banner is just a wallpaper, didn't feel like making areal one...

So, what ye think?

Nice job. The banner is very nice yet doesn't take the focus away from the site.

Master of Genderconfusion
Metroid072 is da man now dog!
MonsterERB wrote:
Sure, why do you think he's called "the master of genderconfusion"? Or, is it the other way around? I'm confused. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Phazon Eater
Ex-Mod Bar Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty nice layout, but there are few things I don't like about it. The banner is kind of boring and also MUCH too big. I'm not saying we should get one that has some abstract background or something, but maybe a simple vector style background for it with artwork by someone like Kellan for it. I don't really like the menus to the right... I'm much more used to them being on the left. The red stroke looks really weird, but that could be because of the low quality you saved it at.

And where is the main nav menu to the left? That is one of the most important parts of the layout... I wouldn't want to have to click each section of the top nav. However, it would be really nice if you made the nav menu into a java nav menu with windows that would appear on mouseover giving links for each section.

As for the details of it, I like it. The glass sort of look is exactly what I had in mind once I found out what was really wanted. The current effect is much too choppy though. You should redo that and keep it smooth (on the nav bar under the banner)
—Mar 27, 2013
Destroyer F
Secret World Discoverer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destroyer F wrote:
The banner is just a wallpaper, didn't feel like making areal one...

The banner would be that size just for the main page. The pages with all the content would have small banner like the site has now.
BTW the banner and menus would be done in flash. that way it can have cool animated drop-down menus.

This design is just a test, didn't really go into detail, that's why some things and effects look unfinished.

But glad you guys like it Smile
Goofyman
^_Ethnic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! It's schnazzy, but I think that as PE said, it looks a little jagged. As well, I think left is okay, but if right is the way it goes I won't be sad.

I like that layout.

^ Thanks for the awesome sig, Monster!
OMFG39Hi'Goofyd
MetroidHandler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concede working on the template to you DF.

And a note and request from anyone with an opinion:

I'm definitely wanting to work on the banner and Mills has said he'd like the metroid design/logo thingy I made for MIM 0-02 in it. If you haven't seen it, check the MIM 0-02 section of the site. You'll see that it is white with a blue glow.

Now should that stay blue, and therefore change the color scheme of the rest of the template that gets made, or should it be red and resemble the first iteration of SCU?

I'm thinking blue, but it's everyone else's opinion that really counts.

Aspire Studios Join this great art community today....or die
KellanStover.co.uk my digital portfolio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Slothien483
Elite Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If theres a drawing that needs to be made for the website, i would like to participate, since ive always wanted to do one for scu Embarassed

ps: ive never had something to show my true skills, but i guess thatll come... later... Blink

Slothien5 logo: Mp2d Mock-Ups. Zelda logo: OOT2d h.q.
Destroyer F
Secret World Discoverer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetroidHandler wrote:
Hold on a sec. I want to see what Andrew thinks first. If he doesn't like the design, then there's no need for me to continue to work on it.

A blue color sheme would fit nice, I also has something like that in mind. I'm not gonna make the baner, I'm not that good aymore at all that graphical stuff... So you can work on it.
Phazon Elite
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destoroyer F, thats great.
But a blue color sceme does not seem metroid to me. Maybe if it was comprised of different colors also, but blue alone = not metroid.
Then again, maybe when i actually see it my mind will change.

Illy wrote:
I've temporarily stopped being gay.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MetroidHandler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black, Gray, and Blue.

Look at the MIM 0-02 cover to get a sense of what I mean.

Aspire Studios Join this great art community today....or die
KellanStover.co.uk my digital portfolio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dark Phazon Samus
Elite Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetroidHandler wrote:
Black, Gray, and Blue.

Look at the MIM 0-02 cover to get a sense of what I mean.

Damn man, that would totally kick ass for the new look. IMO, the blue would also look better than red.

Avatar by Darth Kalatar. Sigs by Darth Kalatar, Slothien483, and xfox.
Leviathan
Elite Pirate

Location: In my own little world, huggling my li'l catgirls. ;D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leviathan wrote:
Andrew Mills wrote:
Gman2 wrote:
The menus are good but the play, return buttons are a bit small and I didn't know they were there at first.

Neutral Strange. I thought they were a decent size (based on the space DF left me with for them Wink Razz). What do you think of the extras and the video quality?

Oh, and the MIM 0-02 section is now up on SCU.

http://www.samus.co.uk/mim2/

I should have all the bases covered on that one...

That cover is f***ing AWESOME.

'nuff said. Cool

I think that speaks for itself. Razz

.:Sig Credit:.
Anonymous at 4chan wrote:
That would simultaneously be the worst and best thing to ever happen.. I mean honestly, you're getting killed by a giant, horny, naked, and sexy catgirl.

"I can dream.. :<"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andrew Mills
** Man Of Action **

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destroyer F wrote:
MetroidHandler wrote:
Hold on a sec. I want to see what Andrew thinks first. If he doesn't like the design, then there's no need for me to continue to work on it.

It's a really nice design DF Very Happy I say keep working on it.

Knight33 (yes, the one that's banned from the forum), sent me a couple of his mock ideas for the re-design which I felt were very well done and should be shown here. I think an combination of peoples ideas should be used for this (such as the MIM 1 DVD cover, which IMO worked out amazingly well).

See what you think:

Design 1:
http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/9246/scu45sj.jpg

Desgin 2:
http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/1025/scu30qe.jpg

There are certain elements I like of each one. The first one has an excellent colour scheme to it, is well spaced and makes nice use of the "real estate".

The 2nd design has an excellent banner design style (even if the overall design is far too white), and polish to it. Perhaps an combination of such ideas mixed in with DF's design?

Also, is it possible to give 56k'ers the chance to switch the proposed flash-based navigation banner to one that is a static 2D one at the click of a link? So while the content stays 56k friendly, the navigation system can be switched between those with broadband (Flash-based) and those without (optimized 2D graphics)? is this technically possible in PHP?
Phazon Eater
Ex-Mod Bar Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already told knight what he needs to work on for his layouts...

I think DF should either improve his glass effects, or get knight to do them for him. Knight's are done much better, although they do have a bit too much depth, which really takes away from them. This might not work though for the style of DF's template (including colors and all)...
—Mar 27, 2013
Destroyer F
Secret World Discoverer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phazon Eater wrote:
I think DF should either improve his glass effects, or get knight to do them for him.
Of course I can do better effects then in my mockup. The mockup was just a test, didn't spend much time in all those fancy effects. So the mockup does not resemble my graphical skills, just to be clear.
Andrew Mills
** Man Of Action **

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Mills wrote:
Also, is it possible to give 56k'ers the chance to switch the proposed flash-based navigation banner to one that is a static 2D one at the click of a link? So while the content stays 56k friendly, the navigation system can be switched between those with broadband (Flash-based) and those without (optimized 2D graphics)? is this technically possible in PHP?

No-one doubts your artistic abilities DF, I think that was simply based off of the mock-up as it stood (a comparison). Keep working on the design as it is so it can be tweaked to perfection Very Happy

And seeing as no-one has replied to this important question:

Millzy 2 posts up wrote:
Is it possible to give 56k'ers the chance to switch the proposed flash-based navigation banner to one that is a static 2D one at the click of a link? So while the content stays 56k friendly, the navigation system can be switched between those with broadband (Flash-based) and those without (optimized 2D graphics)? is this technically possible in PHP?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: The SCU 2006 Re-Design Board All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: