SCU Graphics Topic. All Designers Discuss Ideas Here...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: The SCU 2006 Re-Design Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Mills
** Man Of Action **

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: SCU Graphics Topic. All Designers Discuss Ideas Here... Reply with quote

This topic is dedicated to solely discussing the issue of the graphical elements of the new design. I'm currently thinking of working for the growing number of broadband users, while satisfying those still on 56k connections (of which there are certainly more than you'd think) as much as possible. This a very important element of consideration as far as graphics design on the internet goes (as far as I'm concerned), and is also linked directly with the coding part of the site and the goals that part aims to ultimately achieve. Getting the correct balance, or offering a workable solution for both types of intenet speeds is what this topic will be about (as well as the general design style, colour schemes etc etc).

I was thinking of adding in some flash-based elements for those on (low-level) broadband as it can be used very well when thought out correctly. Possibly something like the nice-looking (and very functional) one seen on this site: www.tiesto.com is one that stood out to me in particular.

Optimization is the key to this, regardless of whether it's for broadband users or 56k. So make sure that you keep that element in mind when posting your design ideas or samples in this topic. Please bear in mind that the graphics team WILL have to work closely with the coding team to ensure that it all fits together snugely...

I'm ONLY interested in team players here. Those who have high-almighty complexes or "I know better than you" attitudes ARE NOT WELCOME in this topic.
Dark Samus
Phazon Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a main page banner rotation would be nice.
I'd be happy to make a banner or two if this idea is possible.
Hopefully this was an okay post.

All signatures and are made by me. PM me with requests.
MonsterERB wrote:
Very nice. I've always thought that making a great sig/avvy is 50% the skill you have, and 50% the creativity you use in coming up with the concept.
Andrew Mills
** Man Of Action **

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the banner rotation idea work with a flash-designed banner system tho? (Just in case we DO go with a flash-based banner idea instead of static images).
MetroidHandler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated before. I'm all for helping out.

I'm not familiar with flash....at all. But a flash banner could work out very nicely if the right people collaborate on it.

I think some more interesting aspects such as animated buttons instead of stationary text could help a lot. A more stylized design in general really. Possibly blue, white, grey, and black. Like the Metroid Prime 2 logo.

I've got ideas but I'll wait for more people to "show up" here.

Aspire Studios Join this great art community today....or die
KellanStover.co.uk my digital portfolio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KennyMan666
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't use too much flash, that's just bad IMO... websites that use nothing but flash I only find annoying.

The Ur-Quan Masters
Fly & High!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Andrew Mills
** Man Of Action **

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KennyMan666 wrote:
Just don't use too much flash, that's just bad IMO... websites that use nothing but flash I only find annoying.

No no, defanitely not. Everything will be carefully implimented to be as useful and unintrusive as possible. Everything in moderation and optimized.
Goofyman
^_Ethnic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know much about Flash (I've worked in it a small amount, but not enough to have any sort of knowledge), but I think that animated banners might be cool. Like, it says "Samus.co.uk - Doing the Metroid series proud", and then it cuts to some action clip from one of the games, or an easter egg clip (kind of like the SM clips, it goes for a little while and then cuts back to the Samus.co.uk).

*shrug*, that might be stupid, though.

As well, animating the buttons on the site would be cool. Imagine watching the buttons and then Ridley randomly moves into the center, looks at you, and then moves away. The person would blink and wait for it to happen again. Keke.

<_< Might be stupid, though.

^ Thanks for the awesome sig, Monster!
OMFG39Hi'Goofyd
Andrew Mills
** Man Of Action **

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goofyman wrote:
Well, I don't know much about Flash (I've worked in it a small amount, but not enough to have any sort of knowledge), but I think that animated banners might be cool. Like, it says "Samus.co.uk - Doing the Metroid series proud", and then it cuts to some action clip from one of the games, or an easter egg clip (kind of like the SM clips, it goes for a little while and then cuts back to the Samus.co.uk).

*shrug*, that might be stupid, though.

As well, animating the buttons on the site would be cool. Imagine watching the buttons and then Ridley randomly moves into the center, looks at you, and then moves away. The person would blink and wait for it to happen again. Keke.

<_< Might be stupid, though.

The Tiesto website I linked to has something similar, and gave me a very similar idea, where you could put brief SB/SW/Artwork clips into the animated banner (in flash). I thought it would look extremely cool, while being functional as a navigational tool.

I like the possibility of animated buttons (or even just nice static buttons), suppose we just need to see a few in action first...
Karlprof
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me design and code the site for you.

I'm so bored.

Crying or Very sad

(But yeah, I'd be willing to make stuff for you. Just, uh, you'll have to really kick me if you want anything finished on-time. *tries to cover up still unfinished paypal button thingies*)
Phazon Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the banner rotation-I suggest that we do not have a rotation of the banner for each page that is loaded, more like a rotation for each 15-20 seconds or so between all of the banners for the main page of the site.
I can easily do this with a program that I downloaded (an example of this would be Tyler Durden's current signature).
If we were to go with this, then the entire banner rotation would only be one saved file, not as many files as there are banners.
I thought it would be a good idea.

All signatures and are made by me. PM me with requests.
MonsterERB wrote:
Very nice. I've always thought that making a great sig/avvy is 50% the skill you have, and 50% the creativity you use in coming up with the concept.
Goofyman
^_Ethnic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I finished a sample button. It's crude, but I wanted to get my idea across:

Click here to see

Also, perhaps making animated banners (as previously discussed) that are game specific? If you are in the SM section, SM banners play. Fusion, fusion banners play. Games that aren't out, screenshots, main page, a random pull from the list.

OMFG39Hi'Goofyd
Phazon Eater
Ex-Mod Bar Spammer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally professional website layouts stay away from animated buttons, with the exception of rollovers, and even those tend to be simple animations (usually one frame) as opposed to something like Goofyman posted. I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just stating the way things are... <_<
—Mar 27, 2013
Goofyman
^_Ethnic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I thought of that, but I figured I mine as well put it out there. Oh well, it was just an idea to put something fun and random in. Perhaps as MewX said, it could be a rollover, but I guess if this is to be a truly professional site we must fit in.

OMFG39Hi'Goofyd
Midget
SA SW Discoverer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetroidHandler wrote:
A more stylized design in general really. Possibly blue, white, grey, and black. Like the Metroid Prime 2 logo.

Shouldn't the color scheme better reflect the series as a whole, instead of one singular game? I realize that since the original site design was red and black, that red probably isn't what we're looking for here, even though Samus' logo itself is red. Maybe something that involves green, the color of metroids themselves? A softer green of course, nobody likes to browse around a glaringly bright, lime-green website. Razz

http://believil.deviantart.com/
HayIsForMooses (12:39:55 AM): i may fail at math, but YOU fail at speliling
sdwoodchuck wrote:
At E3, if Nintendo plays "Wii Will Rock You," that's it. I quit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Core X
Phazon Elite

Location: Prepare to evacuate soul.... In the Mafia game too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think red and black is a good colour combination....

Animated buttons aren't a hell of a lot of work like some things are, but they look tacky and try-hard if not done properly. We'd need somebody who knew what they were doing really well.

I vote Karlprof.

xfox did the av, it's awesome, eh?
Metroid Prime Hunters Betrayl: What side are you on? Neither....
Quote:

{matt} isnt that jake?
{cx} it's a horse.....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: The SCU 2006 Re-Design Board All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: