SCU RADIO???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: The SCU 2006 Re-Design Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Mills
** Man Of Action **

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more like a Metroid Jukebox section of the site. Where a selection of tunes from SoS would be available for free to be played in a built-in player on the site for those that want some Metroid music, but don't have SoS (I'd only upload a small selection of the better tracks for use on the site, otherwise it'd render SoS pointless).
Goofyman
^_Ethnic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the radio I set up is a mixed bag and never really played Metroid much (since people didn't seem to want to listen unless it was metal (<_< CFX (=P))). If you ever want a radio set up, I would be happy to help set it up or run K-Pai for SCU.

^ Thanks for the awesome sig, Monster!
OMFG39Hi'Goofyd
blade740
Beam Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, how much of your bandwidth does it take to keep the server running 24/7?

<Dazuro> i just had a dream about myself, my girlfriend, my ex, and Proto Man going on a double date
<Dazuro> i was with proto.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Goofyman
^_Ethnic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only uses bandwidth when people are connected, so that varies.

I think. <_<;

OMFG39Hi'Goofyd
Andrew Mills
** Man Of Action **

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blade740 wrote:
well, how much of your bandwidth does it take to keep the server running 24/7?

My secondary "file-dumping" server has 510 gigs a month of bandwidth. So to be honest, I don't really see the bandwidth being an issue anymore.
Exo-scifiguy3000
Beam Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Mills wrote:
510 gigs

Shocked

Andrew Mills wrote:
a month.

Drool

I think K-Pai should be resurrected, but only to play Metroid & Nintendo related tunes. This means the originals and remixes (the metal ones Razz). Maybe different days could feature different playlists e.g. Monday=Metroid, Tuesday=FF, Wednesday= VG Remixes only, etc.
27 Jan 2004
Core X
Phazon Elite

Location: Prepare to evacuate soul.... In the Mafia game too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should have people periodically coming on and chatting. That'd make the site seem friendlier.

I'm sure I read somewhere about this feature being available. I'll get back to you guys.

xfox did the av, it's awesome, eh?
Metroid Prime Hunters Betrayl: What side are you on? Neither....
Quote:

{matt} isnt that jake?
{cx} it's a horse.....
metroid master
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think K-Pai should be resurrected, but only to play Metroid & Nintendo related tunes. This means the originals and remixes (the metal ones Razz). Maybe different days could feature different playlists e.g. Monday=Metroid, Tuesday=FF, Wednesday= VG Remixes only, etc.

If we played anything like dance music or heavy metla or country people would complain and say how they want different stuff. but if we played metroid / video game music im sure everyone would agree so yea... Razz [/quote]

^Sig made by Billy Bob Joe the III Avatar Cleverly Cropped by bdjwill!!^
The Legal drinking age in Canada is more of a suggestion...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Moonlight Sonata
Our Sexy Hobbit Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exo-scifiguy3000 wrote:

I'm in agreement with that... one of the issues I found I didn't like about k-pai was that people DJ'd what they liked, which wasn't a problem, but there were people who didn't really share those tastes. And if you requested something the DJ didn't really like, you faced ridicule, both from the DJ and other listeners. There were only a few people who regularly DJ'd from what I remember, so there wasn't a lot of variation in the genres of music played.

Similarly, if we had an SCU-specific "radio", there would be loads of different musical tastes represented within this community. There are the metal lovers, trance lovers, rock, boy-band, classical, and country fans, plus many more. Trying to cater to all the tastes would be impossible, and would inevitably lead to someone feeling left out somewhere along the line.

Limiting it to video game music caters to the commonality that brought us all here to begin with: gaming.

Thanks to Midget for the sig and Destroyer F for the avatar!

Home of Indigo Autumn: A Novella, a new look at Hermione Granger's past.
Help it get to 100 reviews!
Read Seven of Wands!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Phazon Elite
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about doing metroid related songs only, is that they would have to be some how supplyed for the D.J. (If there is one)
My thinking is the reason that people only played what they liked, is because those are the only songs they had.
If there is a specific playlist given to each D.J., it would make things much easier and people much more satisfied. After all, this is a Metroid site, not an IRon Maiden, or Garth Brooks site.

Illy wrote:
I've temporarily stopped being gay.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leviathan
Elite Pirate

Location: In my own little world, huggling my li'l catgirls. ;D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why would someone listen to a radio station for VG Music when they could simply go to a respective site and download any song from almost any game?

.:Sig Credit:.
Anonymous at 4chan wrote:
That would simultaneously be the worst and best thing to ever happen.. I mean honestly, you're getting killed by a giant, horny, naked, and sexy catgirl.

"I can dream.. :<"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goofyman
^_Ethnic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't take up any space, if DJs exist it can be a time for personality.

Besides, you could say the same about any song. Why not just DL it? No more need for radio if you've got the way to play it.

Same deal here. You can DL, but it costs space. As well, you might just want to have a large variety of VG music.

I think Metroid-only would be good, but it would loop a lot of song constantly. After a day, it will have played the same song at least twice, probably closer to 4-5 times.

So, perhaps Moony meant VG music in general, which could work. A large collection could be amassed and then put on Mills' server (hidden to avoid non-radio usage or something) and then streamed through to play.

OMFG39Hi'Goofyd
Moonlight Sonata
Our Sexy Hobbit Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, general VG music was what I meant, and what I think Exo-Scifi3000 meant (the one I quoted with the original idea). And while you could just go DL anything for any game, or any song, the reason VG music makes the most sense is that it's music that comes from the one central commonality we all have, gaming.

Thanks to Midget for the sig and Destroyer F for the avatar!

Home of Indigo Autumn: A Novella, a new look at Hermione Granger's past.
Help it get to 100 reviews!
Read Seven of Wands!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Andrew Mills
** Man Of Action **

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also please note the fact that Normal music leaves me MUUUCH more open to legal disputes with record labels. Most videogame companies wouldn't bat an eyelid at such a thing as they have already been paid for the work and don't make any seperate royalties off of playing the tracks seperately. Unlike chart/"proper" music, in which the author is legally due a fee for the public airing of their music.

And a pirate radio station on a large (enough) scale website, would be a bit harder to conceal... But I like the idea of a sort of jukebox of sorts of general VG music. Perhaps a different theme for different times of the day like real radio stations do?
Goofyman
^_Ethnic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would say genre-izing (7PM is RPG hour, etc.) would maximize listeners for the hours (some might not want to listen to a mixed bag, instead going for specific genres) and would make it a good station.

OMFG39Hi'Goofyd
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: The SCU 2006 Re-Design Board All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: