No SJ Any% Run
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: Metroid Prime 2: (Dark) Echoes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doninss
Secret World H4x0r

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjp7154 wrote:
Important, yet sad news:

It seems as though I made critical errors to my recording process and ruined the run.

- Without a backup, I recorded my segment 7 (from Torvus Entrance to Boost Guardian) on the wrong tape, which ended and stopped recording about 30 seconds before the end of the segment. I saved, too, so that ruins the whole run.

- I accidentally recorded over a previous segment earlier.

I decided (after crying for an hour) to restart the whole run.

Any going back is gone right now because I erased the old game. I had recently finished rerecording segment 3 (before Phazon Pit).

I haven't stopped putting energy into the run and I definitely plan on finishing it.

That's all I have to say about that. I will update when I'm back to where I was before...

I don't know what to say. Crying or Very sad
MonsterERB
"The Lockinator"

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Potter wrote:
Why use two memory cards when you can have two of the same file on one memory card? Cheaper, too.

My post was in response to chris37599's post, where he said:
Quote:
Yeah, what if the memory card you're using b0rks? Bye bye data.

As I mentioned, I've had a PS2 memory card go bad, losing hundreds of hours of saved progress. Not good. If you've got your speedrun saved in slot 1, and copied in slot 2, then the ENTIRE card gets corrupted/goes bad - your speedrun vanishes. Which is why having the backup on a different card is crucial.

Sigs by me, and 1 by MT
Progress on no-damage Prime run:
Saved in Metroid Quarantine B before Omega Pirate (1:27, 39%)
BBX25 wrote:
You can't pubically submit ideas to a corporation.
chris37599
Elite Pirate

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Wait a second!
I thought you meant to load from card one, then put in card 2 at the end of a run and save. (Which erases the data... I think)
You really meant load from card 1, save to card 1, copy entire file to card 2, then load from card 2 the next time you play?

Thnx to MonsterERB for teh awesome pikmin sig!

Dark X wrote:
I don't. I never make tyops.
tjp7154
Sequence Breaker

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Now where was I...

Monster: You are correct that I should have saved after every segment. I got careless (or work stress Glare). That practice I NOW employ. Work has been H-E-C-T-I-C and when I mean HECTIC, I mean 18 hours out of the day kind of work. The only thing that could EVER stop me from getting this thing done is Nintendo's new console. So THAT's my new deadline.

^ Thank you MonsterErb Smile

http://www.freewebtown.com/tttjp/index.html
No-SJ Any% Progress: 1:22 after Chykka!
Next segments: Sanctuary Fortress!

Dark X wrote:
You make me happy inside.
tjp7154
Sequence Breaker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important and GOOD news!

I finally got over my past loss and am up to date with the run recording. I've now finished segment 10 saved at HydroDynamo Save Station at 59 min. at 18%.

I only lost one minute from my previous "failed" run and have so far about 5 1/2 minutes worth of mistakes.

I hope to upload what I have so far in the next week or so...

ONWARD ->

Dark X wrote:
Soulhunger
Space Pirate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, great job tjp.

I watched your other run as far as it went (segment 6, which was started just after Amorbis).

Can't wait to see the rest in the future. Wink
Sequence Breaker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update (6/7/06)

Segment 10 (Hydrodynamo to Grapple Guardian) Completed with 1:03 and 19%. I was surprised to get everything pretty much right at the first recording. It usually takes two or three to get it right. Now up ahead is the Grapple Guardian. I'll be using SE's strat to do this one, seeing it's the quickest so far. I've done it successfully before. Now to do it in front of the camera...

Upload hopefully in the next week...

Dark X wrote:
tjp7154
Sequence Breaker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update! (6/11/06)

Alright. Segments 1-12 are COMPLETED. Last saved at Undertemple Shaft Save Station after Grapple Guardian with a time of 1:05. A couple of things:

- Videos are now at 320x240 resolution with NO sound. This is to save upload/download time. These are basically "preview" quality.
- Compared to my old "failed" run -- well, I prefer the old run for the first segments.
- I estimate that there are over 7 minutes of mistakes through the whole run, so it can definitely be optimized. I'm just glad I made it past the annoying segments 2 and 4. With all the mistakes I was only 1 minute behind the failed run.
- The memory card info is backed up, so the last fiasco will -not- happen this time.
- For the new segments (Torvus Bog), I think they're pretty good. There are only a couple of retries on key no-SJ tricks (Great Bridge, Polluted Mire, "room with the laser" (forget the name) in Dark Torvus).
- Pretty good Boosty and Grapply battles. I killed Boosty in one round and Grapply the "Metroid Killer" way (thank you MK).

Next segment (#13) is up to the save station before Chykka.

Progress is being made. I know I for one am happy for that. Hope everyone likes the updates...

Oh, silly me. The videos can be found at:

ONWARD->

EDIT: Update (6/13/06)

Segment 13 (Alpha Blogg, to Chykka) is completed and on tape. The key trick was the roll jump gravity boost (thanks to Mr Potter) used to escape from Alpha Blogg's room after beating him. I save back at the Torvus Lagoon Save Station. The time is 1:12 (+7min from last seg.) with 21% (gravity boost).

The next segment will cover Chykka and end back at the Great Temple. Then it's on to Sanctuary Fortress.

On a side note, I'm trying to figure out the exact route I'll take to get the Sky Temple Keys after I beat Quadraxis and get the Annihilator Beam. I had watched Metroid Killer's run to see what route was taken, and I don't think I'm going to take that route. I just don't think is well suited for the no-space-jump game. My reasoning is this:

-For pretty much each key, I have to do some trick that if I messed up on, I would lose too much time trying it again.
-I wanted to get the keys in one area, then save somewhere nearby.
-Every area's closest save station is too far out of the way.

Since I couldn't find a good route where I would be able to save directly after getting the area's keys then going to the next area without a lot of backtracking, I decided to just use the Great Temple as a hub.

First I plan on getting the Temple Grounds keys on the paths to Agon and Sanctuary Fortress, but NOT Torvus (I'll save that till before I get to the Sky Temple). Then, using Great Temple Save Station as a hub, I'll get all the keys from Agon, go back to the Great Temple to save, then do the same for Sanctuary Fortress. Finally I'll get the ones in Torvus, go out from Torvus Lagoon, then head toward the last Sky Temple Key on the way to the Sky Temple.

This way also acts as a demonstration for the tricks I have to do in each area to get the keys.

Thoughts, anyone?

Dark X wrote:
tjp7154
Sequence Breaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update (6/19/06)

Segment 14 (Chykka segment) is done and on tape. This is probably the most important segment of my run, a MAJOR milestone at least. I also dub this is as the half-way point of the run. I start at the Save Station in Torvus Lagoon, go to Chykka, then save back at the Great Temple Save Station. The time was 1:22 (10 minutes). I was VERY pleased with the Chykka battle. I conserve my beam ammo for the larva stage, using just charged power beam shots and super missiles. For the adult stage I use Dark Beam shots most of the time to stun Chykka, then use the seeker missiles for the wings.

After the battle I go out the Torvus entrance. I don't float over the gate in Forgotten Bridge to lower the gate, because it just takes too much time and is an instant speed run killer if you have to restart the float for any reason. When I go back for the Sky Temple keys I'll just go through Torvus Grove using the my no-SJ trick there.

Next segment is the beginning of Sanctuary Fortress up to the Main Gyro Chamber Save Station.

As for the preview uploading, that probably won't happen for another 2 or 3 weeks or so.

Dark X wrote:
MonsterERB
"The Lockinator"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I am soooo glad to see you making good progress on this run. Keep up the good work, tjp! I know many people, including myself, will be watching this run once you're finished. Gogogo!!! You can do it! Mr. Green Cool

Sigs by me, and 1 by MT
Progress on no-damage Prime run:
Saved in Metroid Quarantine B before Omega Pirate (1:27, 39%)
BBX25 wrote:
You can't pubically submit ideas to a corporation.
tjp7154
Sequence Breaker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of response. My internet went down. BUT, I'm finally back from deployment and should have a good number of time. Hopefully I can finish this run before I take vacation in mid-July for a couple of weeks.

Hopefully in a week I should have all the latest segments online. Hopefully...

Monster, thanks again for the response and encouragement.

Dark X wrote:
Dark X
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that you made me happy inside but I already complimented Monster like that. It's my highest compliment too, because I'm never happy. Um...

Screw it. You make me happy inside.

EDIT: Hey, you sigged me. Smile

<3 Mochtroid. Awesome avatar by Monster.
Tyler Durden wrote:
Listen to Dark X, Dark X is wise.
Intervention: Lenario
Betrayal: Noxus
tjp7154
Sequence Breaker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got Segment 14 (Chykka) uploaded. Segment 13's coming soon, too.

You can view the preview for Segment 14 at:

Hope 'ya like.

As soon as I get Segment 13 uploaded, I'll continue working on the first Sanctuary segment (Segment 15, up to Main Gyro Chamber).

Dark X wrote:
chrisgreathouse
Space Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjp7154 wrote:

The Dark Samus 1 battle didn't go as smoothly as it COULD'VE. In one of my failed segments I was able to get an awesome (I think) DS1 battle.

DS1 Pwned (not part of actual run)

I'll get the other segments(1 and 2) uploaded when I can... Sad

... Oh My God *points at dark samus* OWNED! lol, that was funny, and cool! Clap Clap

[ontopic] wow, good luck getting through the game! Great job so far! Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: Metroid Prime 2: (Dark) Echoes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: