has anyone watched zoisites (sp?) 1% run on this game?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: Metroid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonsterERB
"The Lockinator"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You DO realize that the runner is using extreme slowdown and hundreds of savestates, don't you? Imagine running a game at, say, 5% of normal speed, so that you can get every move perfect... and that as you complete each move, you savestate the game, so that if you mess up a fraction of a second later, you can just return to the previous state and start over.
TAS runs can be mighty cool to watch. However, just know them for what they are. They require a completely different skill set than a real-time speedrun.

Sigs by me, and 1 by MT
Progress on no-damage Prime run:
Saved in Metroid Quarantine B before Omega Pirate (1:27, 39%)
BBX25 wrote:
You can't pubically submit ideas to a corporation.
Zoizite
Space Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to clear some things up here. Yes this is definately a TAS. I didn't know -ziplock- (nintendorecords.com admin) wasn't putting the usual TAS disclaimer on his vids. I made the run for Bisqwit's site (http://bisqwit.iki.fi/nesvideos/), but later gave -ziplock- permission to use it on his.

Anyways, I'm glad you guys enjoyed my run. =)
I also have any% and 100% runs at Nesvideos, but Bittorrent is required to download the .avis. The video quality is MUCH better on the Nesvideos videos. Here's the link: http://bisqwit.iki.fi/nesvideos/movies.cgi?playerid=70

EDIT: I didn't even realize it, but Andrew has my any% and 100% run hosted here on SCU, as well (http://www.samus.co.uk/tool_assisted_speedruns.shtml). Thanks for hosting them. =)
Pale-Dim
Space Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you zoizite for clearing things up. Your runs are so fun to watch. Yours skills far surpase anyone ive ever seen play this game. tell me something. how are you able to jump platforms so fast. it barely seems like you land on them before you are gone to the next one. truly amazing

how long did it take you to complete that 1% run?
MonsterERB
"The Lockinator"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pale-Dim wrote:
...Yours skills far surpase anyone ive ever seen play this game. tell me something. how are you able to jump platforms so fast. it barely seems like you land on them before you are gone to the next one...

* heavy sigh *
Monster, about 2 posts ago wrote:
Imagine running a game at, say, 5% of normal speed, so that you can get every move perfect... and that as you complete each move, you savestate the game, so that if you mess up a fraction of a second later, you can just return to the previous state and start over.

He's running the game in extreme slow motion on an emulator. He is not playing the game on an NES console. He is playing the game on a personal computer, using the emulation program's settings and functions to allow him to pull off moves that would be impossible to achieve in real time on a console.
Don't get me wrong - his TAS is awesomely cool to watch. But to say "his skills far surpass..." is showing me that you're missing the point. Playing the game in this way does not require reflexes or hand-eye coordination. It requires a thorough knowledge of the game and how its physics work, hours upon hours of time devoted to the run, and a lot of hard labor.
Console runs done in real-time, and TAS runs done in slow motion with hundreds (if not thousands) of savestates and re-records, require completely different skill sets and should not be compared to one another. Compare Zoizite's TAS to other Metroid1 TAS runs you have seen; do not compare it to runs done on the NES console.
(BTW - "TAS" = tool-assisted speedrun)
All that said, I'm sure Zoizite will be able to tell you exactly how he was able to jump so fast - I'm guessing it has to do with putting Samus in the exact right position, and hitting "jump" on the precisely correct frame.

Sigs by me, and 1 by MT
Progress on no-damage Prime run:
Saved in Metroid Quarantine B before Omega Pirate (1:27, 39%)
BBX25 wrote:
You can't pubically submit ideas to a corporation.
Zero7
Shadow Pirate

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it was by frame advance( Moves the game one frame, then pauses the emulator itself), it allows you to hit it on the exact frame so you can land on the platform and takeoff without even looking like you were on it.

This is something all people who do TASes do, since it's pretty much required. I know, I've done like 3, they either got wiped after I switched HDs, or I never fine tuned them.

I figured I should add that little bit.
Red Scarlet
Shadow Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this topic is a perfect example of that thing Nate was doing.

Yes, this is a tool-assisted run, based on my 2 item 'lets see if this is possible' video I did a long time ago.

I don't think anyone has done 2 items on the console last I checked.
DJGrenola
Secret World Discoverer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffs !

http://speeddemosarchive.com/TAS.html
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: Metroid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: