An idea regarding stickying on the GD board..

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: The SCU 2006 Re-Design Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leviathan
Elite Pirate

Location: In my own little world, huggling my li'l catgirls. ;D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: An idea regarding stickying on the GD board.. Reply with quote

Not really an idea, but more of a suggestion which was never brought up before..

The General Discussion board is meant for just that.. general discussion. Yet the only topics I see stickied there are anouncements, questions regarding the forum*, and two topics meant mainly for newer members to introduce themselves. I see no sticky topics that actually categorize under general discussion (i.e. a music topic, a TV topic). I realise that dubbing a topic in GD sticky-worthy is a bit troubling, but I'm mainly talking about big things with large fanbases, such as the examples I just gave.
Specifically speaking about a music topic, I've seen numbers of music topics created before, yet each died because newer topics were created, pushing older topics towards the later pages. I just think that having seperate stickied topics for general things such as music and TV will eliminate the constant creating of such topics.

*Referring to the "Forum Games" topic: Shouldn't that go in this board instead of GD? o.O

.:Sig Credit:.
Anonymous at 4chan wrote:
That would simultaneously be the worst and best thing to ever happen.. I mean honestly, you're getting killed by a giant, horny, naked, and sexy catgirl.

"I can dream.. :<"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darth Nat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason to sticky a topic is because it is either an announcement or a topic that has generated so much discussion that it is worthy of sticky-ness. The GD board is one of the most frequented, so of course we're going to put announcements there. But if a topic can't stay alive for more than two weeks, why does it need to be stickied? There's obviously not enough interest in it to warrant it becoming a stickied topic.

You could use the argument that if it was sticked it'd generate more replies, but that goes for anything. I could name a topic "poop" and sticky it and more people would look at it just because it would be stickied. I just figure that if a topic can't sustain itself without a sticky, it doesn't deserve one.

Avatar by the wonderful Neko. Sig by Metro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Metroidius Primus
Flying Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about splitting the GD into a "Recurring/Stickied Topics" and "GD"? The could be one above the other.

M072 Leviathan eb05 Gman2 xfox Joba D. Kal
[ForumAdvisors.net] [Shannara Forums]
Midget
SA SW Discoverer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Nat wrote:
You could use the argument that if it was sticked it'd generate more replies, but that goes for anything. I could name a topic "poop" and sticky it and more people would look at it just because it would be stickied. I just figure that if a topic can't sustain itself without a sticky, it doesn't deserve one.

Not to be argumentative, but if a topic CAN sustain itself without a sticky, then why does it need one? The point of a sticky is to keep a topic at the top of the page where people can see it - if the topic is doing that on its own, then what's the point of stickying it? I'd say less active, yet still important topics deserve stickies more. They may not get as many posts, but their content could be just as important and deserving of a spot at the top of the page.

http://believil.deviantart.com/
HayIsForMooses (12:39:55 AM): i may fail at math, but YOU fail at speliling
sdwoodchuck wrote:
At E3, if Nintendo plays "Wii Will Rock You," that's it. I quit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Moonlight Sonata
Our Sexy Hobbit Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the philosophies we've had in the past is that the stickied topics in GD are topics that pertain to the community as a whole and serve for the betterment of the community. Look at the stickied topics currently: "Hi I'm New", "Post Your Picture", "How did you find SCU"... they're topics that help the community remain a community. It's also a quick and easy way for new members to introduce themselves and see the community at work.

At one point someone asked for a topic to be stickied, because he was tired of remaking the topic after it had sunk down into the depths of the GD board. To which I replied that if members were finding the topic useful and interesting and worth discussing further, the topic would remain on the recent pages and not warrant a sticky. That's the way I feel about stickies right now. It should pertain to the community as a whole and be of interest to the entire community. If we start stickying things left and right, the idea behind a sticky is negated.

I say let the topics that are popular remain that way by peoples' interest and participation, and the topics that are unpopular fade away naturally. I once browsed a forum that had about 15 stickies out of the 16 topics on page 1, and it was just... annoying; to actually see any of the interesting or popular discussions you had to go to the next pages rather than have it right there. And the stickies weren't really of interest to the populace as a whole, I deduced as I looked at it. At least on our GD board the stickied topics are pertinent and important to the whole community.

Thanks to Midget for the sig and Destroyer F for the avatar!

Home of Indigo Autumn: A Novella, a new look at Hermione Granger's past.
Help it get to 100 reviews!
Read Seven of Wands!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Samus.nl Forum Index :: The SCU 2006 Re-Design Board All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: